Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I need honest and safe advice...What is the best way to handle this...?

To make a long story short, there is this guy in my apt. complex that I have seen around for over 3 years. He's always trying to get my attintion and talk to me. I would just smile and go about my way. One day while I had my nephew with me (who's 2) he called me over to help him with something. I went to his patio but refused to go into his house (even though he kept trying to get me to go in) he asked me to help him untangle a chain that was wrapped around a ring. As I was looking at the ring he was sitting on the edge of his patio and asked could I keep a secret. I said yes. He then pulled out a ';crack'; pipe and in front of me and my nephew lit it up! As I grabbed my nephew to run away, he started to tell me what he wanted to do to me and used his ';mouth'; as a visual aid! I went straight to the landlord and reported it. She assured me that it would be taken care of. This was a month ago and the man is still here! She lied to me! She told me that ';He doesn't have anywhere to go';I need honest and safe advice...What is the best way to handle this...?
Sister, you are in a truly dangerous situation. A person who uses crack is not thinking correctly when under its influence. I have also read where even police have trouble dealing with them because the crack seems to increase their insane power for a time.





I would recommend that you take two actions. But I also recommend that you pray before implementing them.





First I would go the law authorities and file a complaint. You are not, in my opinion, bound to keep your promise. Promises do not include dangerous or threatening situations. File a report with the police about this incident. Tell them that his use of crack is a danger to your family and others in the building.





Ask the police how to file a restraining order. If the court grants that order he will be required to stay a certain number of yards away from you at all times. If he comes closer and does not immediately withdraw, he is subject to arrest.





Secondly, I would recommend that your husband take action on this. A Christian husband is to protect his wife and daughter. I'm not talking about physical action. He in my opinion should go over there when the man is not on crack. Without threatening him (that could make him subject to arrest), he should explain to the man that he knows what happened and will not tolerate any further contact between you and his daughter. He should explain that if any contact is made he will personally file charges and follow up on them.





I guess there is a third action I would recommend. You husband needs to sit down with the landlord and explain that it is unacceptable that she would buy into such a shabby lie.





Unless you live in the only apartment in town and there are no homes available, he can find a place to live. Remind her that if he stopped paying rent for three months she would certainly help him out the door!





He should tell her that her inaction is threatening you and your daughter. He should also tell her that a man who uses crack is a threat to her and every person in the building. He should tell her that it also is a violation of her responsibility as a landlord, a Christian and a pastor.





I would suggest that he tell her that he came to her first, because he loves her as a relative (assuming he does). But, if she doesn't take appropriate action, he will go to the senior pastor and the board.





All of this of course should be done in Christian love.





In the meantime, protect yourself. Get a can of pepper spray, if it is legal in your state (it is not legal in all states). Get a device that emits a loud alarm and carry them with you. If your daughter is old enough to use them safely get one for her.





God bless you, sister.





Pastor John





Addendum: Sister, it may well be too late for the police to get a search warrant for the crack pipe. But they should still keep an eye on him. Unless he makes his own crack, he has to have a supplier. Their responsibility is to find that out.





Secondly, it is never too late for a restraining order. You simply tell the police and the courts that he made sexual overtures to you and that he uses crack. You indicate that there have been other times that he has watched you and/or your daughter. The police will tell you if you have enough for a restraining order. If not, hire an attorney and let him handle the matter.





I apologize, sister, I failed to do my research earlier. If your hasband has had a ';relapse'; he must have a medical condition. If that condition is threatening, it might be wise for him not to talk with this man.





Also, while the police may not be able to get a search warrant, a landlord does have a reasonable right to inspect her property. She can ask her attorney whether this constitutes such a time and what she can and cannot do.I need honest and safe advice...What is the best way to handle this...?
POLICE!
What makes you think that it is too late to file a complaint with the the police? It isn't. Just tell them that you filed a complaint with the landlord who told you that she would take care of the matter, but didn't. You can probably have a restraining order placed on him so that he can not come near you or your family.





You did nothing wrong. He did. The landlord lied and should be on your side not his. What if he rapes someone? Then he will have somewhere to go. Prison. Don't be afraid of him, you have the upper hand.





You and your husband need to stay away from him and let the police take care of it. People who are full of drugs are very dangerous. However, in his non drugged up state he is a coward because real men don't act that way.
Please keep your distance from this person!! I believe that from what you are saying that he's dangerous!! I think you should talk to your pastor and see if he would be willing to intervene!! That kind of person can be desparate, keep all of your doors and windows locked!! I can't believe that your landlord would want that kind of thing going on there, it's trouble waiting to happen!! My thoughts and prayers are with you!! You may want to file a report with the police so at least it will be on record in case there are any problems!! Keep Safe!!
Anjel, this is a frightening situation for sure! You have some great answers here to think about and pray on.





I will add if you are getting mail or walking alone around your building do so in daylight. Carry a cell phone. And make sure your daughter is with you or your husband when out near the building.


Your first priority is your families safety- I would not hesitate reporting this incident to the police. In the long run it may also get this poor soul some help that he so obviously needs.


Be safe!
Unfortunately, the same landlord/tenant laws which protect you, also protect him unless it is stated specifically that drug use, sexual harassment, etc. is a breach of those laws. If that's the situation you should make a report of the next offense to the police as a basis for civil legal action should it reach that point. The more immediate solution lies within either the landlord, or your husband. I would not hesitate to put the landlord on notice of my intent to pursue litigation if necessary. It is not a situation which should be tolerated regardless of whether the man has a place to go. In the meantime, go get your mail. Don't allow this man the luxury of thinking he has intimidated you. Just be cautious around him.
All I can say is pray about it. Let the Lord order your steps. This may be a trial, Angel that the Lord what to see how you handle yourself like Job. He'll give you double for your trouble. Let him direct you and tell you what to do.
Go to your pastor and tell him what happened. Also, let it be known that if something isn't done that you will let everyone in the church know about the incident before you switch churches.
Anjel, your landlord obviously doesn't care anything about the safety and well being of her tenants. She's all about the mighty dollar. You should have reported this to the police, and your husband. They would have handled this man very differently. Stay away from him. he may be trying to catch you at a time you least expect and cuase harm to you or your nephew. Never let your guard down for an instant. If you need back up, I'm on a plane ASAP.


**Edit**


Never do business with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment