Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Can some wise women please advice me on which store brand diapers and formula are best.?

I have an 11 month old. I would love to keep giving her formula till she is at least 15 months.She is now on similac go and grow which she loves and wears pampers cruisers during the day ( they leak) and huggies overnite at night. BUt all this is getting expensive. She is a big girl(24lb at 9mons) and wear size 5 diapers(big bum too). Hear the store brand diaper sizes can be tricky.


Thank you.Can some wise women please advice me on which store brand diapers and formula are best.?
The low down on Diapers:





Name brand and store brand are actually very different. They have different methods of absorbtion and leak prevention. The more expensive name brand absorb with little gel like beads and spun cotton liners. Cheaper diapers do not have the gel beads, but they use a better quality cotton which is woven rather than spun. The tight weave works better for leak prevention, and the beads work better to absorb faster. Another differance is the outer edge of the diaper. The more expensive ones have a leak barrier which is about 1/2 inch raise from the diaper and has elastic qualities. Store brands barriers are only about 1/4 inch, and do not have any elasticity to them. Another thing to think about is the way the fastening tabs work. Some are just sticky like tape, and one they are down they can not be restuck. Some are just like velcro and can be stuck several times for a perfect fit but can be easily pulled off by baby or clothing. The name brands are all a combonation of both. This way the can be refastened if need be, but stay out much better. Finally, there is the elasticity of the waist band and tabs. This varies greatly by brand. Some have elastic tabs, some waistbands, some both. I find with younger non mobile babies, an elastic waitsband is eonugh for the positions they are in. But, for a more active baby, elastic tabs are important so the diaper does not sqeuuze to tight when the wiggle and move.





Anyway, long answer short, price is actually the only factor of cheap vrs name brand. The use of each diaper is what sells it or not.





As far as my opinion goes, I use 2 different diapers. One for active daytime wear, one for nights. I use the Original Pampers baby dry durring the day because they wisk the wetness away and do keep baby dry. And I use a store brand at night to prevent leaks and hold all night so I don't have to wake him for a change (he sleeps all night). As far as brand for the cheap diapers goes, I use walmart's White Cloud. They are next to the cheapest I have found, and work wonderfully. A bonus with them is the tabs have a little elasticity as well and are fine for awake times right before bed and in the morning.





As far a sizing goes, I would try a size 4 again. Sometimes but shape changes, and 24 pounds plus 2 months should still be under 37, which is the weight topper for 4s. There is a big difference in the number of diapers between 4s and 5s, the biggest of all the size changes. 4s are only a little bigger then 4s, and it is in the length back to front. The waist size is almost the same. Also, a bigger pack is not necessarily a better deal. Take a little pocket calculater with you, and take the price divided by number of diapers and go by the per diaper price. You may be suprised at your findings.





Now, on to formula.





I would highly recomend making the switch to WHOLE (i see someone said 2%) around the 1st birthday. No, there is not a magical thing that happens at this age that makes babies ready for milk, but this is the time most babies become very active and need the extra nutrients in milk. The extra calories support energy, and the calcium supports growth. This is very important because many babies, especially girls, have huge growth spurts around their first birthdays and need the calcium to keep bones strong. The formula is not going to get any less expensive, and she will be drinking more and more very shortly (with her spurt). If you really want to keep her on the formula, you are mommy and you know best, but I would atleast start offering milk around age 1. Who knows, she may like it even more then the formula, and will really help out the pocket book! What ever you decide, good luck!Can some wise women please advice me on which store brand diapers and formula are best.?
My trick to diapers is to find a brand you like and use coupons either from registering at their website, stores - like Target's site, or getting a weekend paper for $2. While cutting coupons can be a pain, for a $3 coupon, Id do it. Plus theres usually other ones in the paper Ill use too.





Target often with email you ones for $3 off. You put that on a small pack and you get a pretty good deal. And you can print it off over and over.
white cloud at walmart is good. I am in NC and eckards just got bought out by rite aide and hade their diapers on sale for 3.50 a bag so I bought them out in my area and stock up to size 4...they work fine for my 4 month old, never had a leak even after 11 hours of sleeping..not sure about older baby though.
I have tried all my local store brand diapers and don't like any of them; they all leak. I like pampers Cruisers or Baby Dry the best. But you're right, they're so expensive! I know they're a lot cheaper at the warehouse stores (Sam's, Costco, etc.), even Wal-Mart is less expensive than buying them at the grocery store.





As for formula you should keep her on the same formula until she's 1. After that there's no need to have her on formula and you should switch her to whole milk.





Good Luck!
do half formula and half 2% milk... that will lower your expensies,, after a month or too go only milk... saves alot..





go to a Costco and buy pampers in bulk.. $37 for like 130+ pampers...
move her too goodnites when u put her down for the nite and i moved our son off of similac and puthim on carnation good start and he loved it and it helped him stay fuller longer. but because she is sucha big baby u will need the big size diapers for now but once she gets mobile and walks she will lose some of the baby fat and get down to size.
I use Luvs... they are cheap and they work okay. Now as for the formula... keep her on her Similac...
I love cloth diapers. I would never go back to stinky, rashy disposables! Cloth doesn't leak, either.





Wal-Mart, Sam's Choice and Target brand diapers are all made in the same factory. Same diapers, different designs on the velcro strip. Check it out yourself. Funny how some people love one label but not the other.
Well I have tried with my son every single diaper offered at walmart, kmart and our local grocery store (fitti diapers). Your asking for store brand try WhiteCloud its at walmart. But luvs is also reasonably priced. I stopped using loves many months back (6 to be exact and switched to pampers) because they did not have the stretch sides but FINALLY they have come out with stretch size and just bought my first box in 6 months yesterday. A box of size 5 with 92 diapers cost 19.97 a pampers size 5 is the same price but only 80 diapers.





Now as for formula you shouldn't keep her on infant formula you should put her on stage 2 formula at 12 months of age their requirements change. I didn't keep my son on formula after 13 months (Dr's request to keep him on it) so I dont know which stage 2's are available. My daughter was a micropremature infant and back in the early 90s I know GoodStart had a stage 2 formula that was reasonably priced. However remember ALL formula's that are marked in the USA must meet or exceed the exact same guidelines so ';technically'; a national brand is no better then a store brand.





By the way check out www.1800diapers.com if you want to buy in bulk they have good prices on some of their products with free shipping over 50 dollars. And dont buy diapers at the grocery store they always charge more.
I've had great luck with Target brand diapers. She is in size 4 right now and she's had no problem with leakage like we did with Huggies and Pampers, not even at night. We've also been ok with the HEB and Kroger Comforts brands.





As far as formula goes, one company makes many of the larger store brands so they are all exactly the same. Wal-mart, Target, Kroger, Bright Beginnings, Member's Mark, and more are all made by PBM Products. I use the Gentle in the store brand for my daughter and have absolutely no problems. It's a savings of $10 a can. You could always try the store brand for a few days to see if she is ok on it. Good luck
Check labels of generic formula and compare them to what you usually use. I get target formula with DHA and ARA and its exactly the same as nestle goodstart, but half the price. I use a generic diaper I found in a grocery store call FITTI, it fits wonderfully and has balloons with smiley faces that fade when my son is wet ^_^


Another thing to consider is ordering in bulk of amazon or a similair website, I would find a brand you like then start doing that.
white cloud or parents choice is the store brand in my area, i hated store brand and i know use luvs or huggies and they both are fine.





my son gets good start soy


i have used enfamil and similac but he had a reaction to the lactose in both so he was put on soy based.





but of course they might not leak on your daughter, try white cloud. formula is not cheap no matter what brand you get. and at your daughter age you can give her milk which will not be as expensive.
luvs are better then the store brands and usually a few dollars cheaper or hit ur local cosco or sams club and get diapers(huggies). Also the fancy brands of formula carry the same thing as the store brands and usually say on the front which ones they r most like....u will save 5 + dollars there on a bigger size container
I had great luck with White Cloud diapers. The other cheaper brands always leaked with my kids.





I really liked the carnation good start formula. Parents choice I couldn't get my kids to take so I tasted it and it seemed sweeter than the others. My kids did really good on the carnation good start and to me it seemed more the consistency of breast milk.
I love the Target brand diapers. They are cheap and work great.


As for formula, I'm not sure, I've heard that the Walmart brand Parents Choice is really good.
white cloud is a good brand ... luvs sucks they are probably the worst i have tried.. formula at walmart they have parents choice brand and it is just as good and you get a huge can for like 12 bucks..
You might want to try pull ups they seem to be a little tighter around the legs. I use the pamper also. Try changing her more often. Child cares change diapers every two hours. hope this helps.
Kroger didn't fit my baby...target was just not good...food lion was cheap...luvs leaked...huggies leaked...LOVED pampers but too expensive...





WHITE CLOUD...walmart brand has worked great. my daughter is 8 months old and i have been using these diapers for MONTHS. they are great for me. i think you just need to go ahead and try a bunch of different store brands out. some people here hated white cloud, some love it...same with the other brands. everything is just cut so differently so no one's baby is going to fit every diaper perfectly. good luck with everything though :)





also, i use the parent's choice formula. my pediatrician said it's virtually the same exact thing as the enfamil i was giving her and it's about $10 cheaper for a big can when compared...ask your pediatrician before abruptly switching formulas, but the store brand ones are often the same thing.
In the early months I liked pampers swaddlers as my daughter got older I tried every brand and my favorite is white cloud-walmart brand.
walmart- sucks! leaks day and night


krogers- aren't that bad, not good for night


do you have a sams club or a friend who has a membership?


their brand, ';sams choice'; is comparable to pampers for a fraction of the price, they have the ';swaddler'; feel to them, and have never leaked on me.


luvs is also a good inexpensive brand that works great day and night, and it has the leak shield guarantee, can't go wrong with that


as for formula parents choice from walmart i heard is really good. but i would stick with similac since she is used to it and won't be on it that much longer.


if price gets to be an issue, there is always the option of giving whole milk.
as my boy got bigger i found that the store brand diapers just didn't hold up well. i use Luvs, they seem to work well for me. why do you want to do formula until 15 months? you can move to whole milk at one year. i started by using 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula, then later half and half, then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula. the switch to full whole milk is easier that way and much cheaper!
I've had good results with Dollar General brand diapers, and they're reasonably priced- $6.50 a bag for 40(at size 3).

No comments:

Post a Comment