Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cuba advice please.... Best answer gets 10points!?

Ok, so I鈥檓 off to Cuba next week (Holguin, Playa Pesquero) and wanted some advice with Tipping.


My friend went to Cuba last year (one of the cayo鈥檚) and said that they gave out gifts instead of money (apart from to the tour guides which they gave a few peso鈥檚), so me and my boyfriend have made up some (four) gift packs before we go, which includes:





Soap


Toothpaste


Toothbrush


Mouthwash


Razors


Notepad


Colouring pencils


(and one includes sanitary towels)





Will this be enough? And will we need to tip any more than this?





Also, I was sorting through some stuff yesterday and found some bra鈥檚 which no longer fit me, I heard some where that they appreciate items of clothing too, would you recommend I take these bra鈥檚 with me (and maybe some old tshirts/shorts etc) and leave them for the maid when we go?








Not sure if it makes any difference, but I am from the UK.





ThanksCuba advice please.... Best answer gets 10points!?
Perfect, they appreciate everything you mentioned.


First of all: money CUC because they need it to buy everything in the foreign currency shops and for transportation and their money is only good for basic needs like bread etc.


I think it's a good idea to alter tips and little gifts.


There are also people who give only tips.


Everything is welcome.


Maybe you'll meet so many people that you'd like to give away not a whole gift package but the single items?


It's a good idea to leave things you don't need in the hotel.


I saw in my hotel that the maids put it together and then distribuited it according to what who needs. But you can also leave a note that it is for a certain person.


I gave away half of my suitcase at the end of my vacation.


They asked me for children's clothes and shoes of my daughter and they like T-Shirts, Shirts, Sweaters, sandals, bags, Jeans, caps, swimsuits, towels, underwear, and especially Sportswear. But also aspirin, chewing gum, matches, sunglasses, batteries, biros, pencils, toys, condomes, shampoo, perfume, lipstick, nail polish, makeup and panty hoses ...


But only give away when you decide, not when they insist or didn't do anything for you.


Only few will do that, most are very grateful about anything and I was astonished how happy they felt about something very normal for us.


The best is to talk with them, they are very warm and special people with dignity, who are able to arrange well in life with the few material things they have.


Have a nice stay!


I just returned from a wonderful vacation there and made a lot of friends (...I hope/think not due to the gifts ;-))Cuba advice please.... Best answer gets 10points!?
all good gifts money also good


and remember dont be afraid to talk/laugh share a drink/joke with the cubans they are great people


clothes are very appreciated
That's very kind of you to bring those helpful gifts for the Cubans. Although when it comes to tipping, it's best to use money (especially with the food service). If you wish to give a gift, it's always best to do so privately on a separate occasion from any services extended to you.





Usually it's nice to tip a little here and there for food/drink (although drinks not necessary all the time), towel attendant, maid service, those who clean in and around the hotel (sometimes we can forget those hard workers). But most of all you will know and be able to use your judgment reasonably.





The best gift though, as Stephen B mentioned, is being a great friend and enjoying yourself with the Cuban people. Greet them everyday, say hello and mean it, talk with them, spend time with them, share a meal with them, etc.





Oh, in regards to your genty used bra...those things are alright to bring. I personally had given the maid a clean bathing suit top, a pair of jeans, a book, and some toiletries throughout my stay and at the end.





Hopefully that helps.





Enjoy your trip. You will for sure end up returning sooner than you think!


http://www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/what-to-b鈥?/a>


http://www.gocuba.ca/en/travelTips.asp#1
Sure anything is good to bring to cuba. When I go I bring everything I can and then They appreciate me and respect me more. All those things are good.Most staff work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week so if you tip them a bit a first you will probably see them regularly and they will remember. If you can contact the actual hotel by e mail and ask them if you can bring something down of importance. I did this once and they asked for nails and screws because the hurricane went right through the club amigo resort and just destroyed their homes in guardalavaca. For women,,, bring tampons.... I brought tampons for one maid and she loved me to death because you can't get them in cuba. I also gave her a bunch of little soccer balls that were free for me which made her very happy because she had a nine year old son. As for your boyfrind all I can say is go early or if you can reserve a seat with legroom (usually by the front or exits) Again if you give generously at the begining of you trip they will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment